Header

Looking foolish does the spirit good. The need not to look foolish is one of youth's many burdens; as we get older we are exempted from more and more, and float upward in our heedlessness, singing Gratia Dei sum quod sum. - Johm Updike


Thanks be to God that I am what I am

Monday, April 9, 2012

Don't Drink The Kool-Aid

The last week has been strange.  I thought it was because of the upcoming Easter holiday.  It seems that callers tend to scale down their phone sex expenditures before holidays and pick it up again once the holiday passes.  I just don't feel like speculating on why at this time.  For the past week, I have been getting connected to callers I usually don't speak to or repeatedly connected to callers who Hang Up @ Hello.  When I say repeatedly, I mean getting connected to the same caller multiple times in a row.  I filed in the back of my mind as weird and plowed ahead.

Saturday, I was placed on call after the first half hour on my shift.  My first caller disconnected the call when someone knocked on his front door.  I heard him answer the door before hanging up so I believe him when he said he had to go.  Not there was anything I could do about it if he had been lying to me.  Then I was connected to the same Short Timer over and over again.  He used a different name and location for each call but he had a very distinctive speaking voice and asked the same questions each time.  He seemed to be very concerned about the age of the PSO and would not say why.  After 5 rounds of this bullshit, the supervisor for the hosting company put me 'on call'.

I was furious and called my boss.  This bullshit is something that the Downer would pull, connecting a PSO to a caller who doesn't want to talk to her multiple times and then blaming her for 'failing'.  You can't please everyone all the time.  The Saturday supervisor doesn't pull that crap, normally.  I couldn't understand what was going on.  The Boss tried his usual round of reassuring lies; everyone gets treated the same, no, they are not deliberately connecting you with the worst asshole available.  I kept my mouth shut, there is no reason for me to point out how statistically impossible it is for a business with hundreds of phone lines to only have this one jerk available for me to be connected to me for half an hour.  I just told him that the last week had been strange.  He responded by telling me that my favorite supervisor at the hosting company has been drinking the Kool-aid at work and is starting to engage the same sort of harassment that the Downer uses.

Oh, say it ain't so.  If that is true, my life is going to really suck.  Part of the way every PSO keeps her call length average up is by the supervisor connecting her to her regulars on a nightly basis.  The Downer does the opposite, he makes sure that a PSO isn't connected to her regulars.  If my favorite supervisor starts doing the same thing, my call time average will hit the floor and I won't be able to predict how much money I will make during the week.  I can't imagine that this is effective for the hosting company, either.  On the other hand, the Downer has been getting away with it for years, according to my boss, so it must work at some level.

I am going to work this week and see what happens.  If this continues, I may have to find another company to work for and I am not looking forward to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment